In today’s global world, the retail industry is becoming increasingly competitive. Retailers are looking for new ways to adapt their brand to fit local markets. The practice of adapting content and graphics to fit as specific regions, as know as, localization is often the solution they seek.
Retail localization is the act of creating a marketing campaign that is specific to a particular area and culture. It uses strategic placement of products and services in certain markets with targeted marketing strategies. This places the right products in the right location at the right time. Retailers that use translation services gain a competitive edge against their competitors who are not targeting their efforts to specific markets.
Why Translation Is Important in the Retail Industry
People want to buy products that they understand. This requires the product to be branded in their native language. In a survey of over 3,000 online shoppers, 60 percent rarely or never buy from English-only websites, according to Common Sense Advisory. Additionally, 75 percent of survey respondents indicated their preference for purchasing products in their own language. These metrics demonstrate that people want products to be marketed to them in their native language. This desire includes retail establishments as well as online sites. Through website translation, businesses can further expand their reach and connection to potential customers.
Why Localization Is Important in the Retail Industry
Localization adapts the retail store to the neighborhood and market that it directly serves. It helps create a unique customer experience in each store. Best Buy experienced revenue gains two times the average amount in 85 localized stores. The chief strategy officer and founder of Common Sense Advisory assert that businesses can sell more goods and services to global customers by localizing their website and product information. She states that localization improves the customer experience and increases engagement regarding the brand.
How Localization in Retail Stores and Online Drives Sales
Localization invests marketing dollars in a strategic manner. It ensures that every store provides a different experience for the customer. This allows the company to adapt its appearance and messaging to suit the local market. Retailers who research the unique attributes of each store and the target market can ensure that they deliver the right message. Retailers can use location-specific campaigns to increase local sales. They can also determine the optimal frequency of marketing campaigns.
Implementing localization also ensures that a message that resonates with the local market adds to branding fixtures, which the business invests in. If these messages do not translate well to the local market, the cost of these customized fixtures goes to waste.
Additionally, localization creates brand loyalty. Customers who feel connected to the message of the business are more likely to repeat their business with the business.
Develop a Localization Plan
To adapt their marketing strategy to the local area, businesses can develop a localization plan. Best practices include:
- Use data – Businesses can use the data that they already have and extrapolate additional data to determine what branding and marketing efforts have been successful in different areas.
- Localize by cluster – Stores that share similarities can be grouped in clusters to decrease the number of models to be established through localization services.
- Use professional translation services –Do not only be concerned with translating terms word for word. Businesses may need to modify their content to create a brand story that resonates with the local audience.
- Adopt cultural consulting – Businesses should also take into consideration the cultural values that may not appreciate an existing branding story. Cultural consulting can help them adopt their message to different audiences in ways that appeal to local customers.
- Make it personal– Localization is about giving customers a more personal experience. The retail outlet should feature marketing regarding materials that local vendors produce, superior working conditions or other messages that reflect the values of the area.
- Focus on important content – It may not be possible to localize all content. Businesses should concentrate on localizing important content, such as product descriptions, product reviews, and marketing campaigns.
The plan should then be shared with key stakeholders and shared within the business.
If you are interested in requesting a quote or learning more about our localization or translation services, please contact us today!