Computer Aided Translation (CAT) Tools
Computer-assisted translation (CAT) tools are types of software that assist human translators in the translation process, increasing both efficiency and accuracy, and usually lowering project cost, as well. CAT tools are very specialized to the language industry and are integral to the services we provide at Dynamic Language.
Examples of CAT tools:
- Translation memory is a database of previously translated content that allows linguists to access and apply (leverage) existing translation segments.
- Terminology management performs automated terminology extraction from new source content, and can help create terminology databases (also known as “termbases”).
- Spelling and grammar checkers catch linguistic errors related to spelling, grammar and syntax.
- Bitext word aligners align source text and corresponding translation, segment by segment.
- Search and concordance tools identify instances of words or phrases and the context in which they are used in a multilingual corpus.
How do CAT tools work?
At Dynamic Language, our Project Managers receive content from clients for translation and/or localization and then import those files into our integrated translation platform. During the analysis process, one tool segments the text, which organizes source language into meaningful units (words, phrases or sentences). Each segment is then analyzed for matches against the existing translation memory (TM) databases. When a match is detected, the translators can either accept the proposed translation, or make modifications. Any new translation segments that do not already appear in the TM are stored, for leveraging in future projects.
Our clients’ organizations typically recycle or reuse certain content across different products, brands, or projects. Through the use of CAT tools, they don’t have to worry about inconsistent translations, as the translators always utilize client-specific TMs and will implement term and phrase matches, as appropriate.
Given the subjective nature of language, there may be five different ways to express a company’s main marketing tagline in Spanish, for instance. Each version may be grammatically correct, and equally as creative, but most clients realize the importance of maintaining consistent branding. With CAT tools, localization teams no longer have to rely solely on human memory or manually search through past projects and glossaries. Consequently, clients can be assured that their translations will be higher quality.
Benefits of using CAT tools
• Improved quality and high level of consistency – now and in the future
• Acceleration of your project’s timeline and the overall localization process
• Cost reduction – with repeated or matching content across projects, savings continually increase
File formats supported by CAT tools
• Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx)
• Microsoft Excel (.xls, .xlsx)
• Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt, .pptx)
• Adobe InDesign
• Adobe Framemaker
• Adobe Pagemaker
• HTML (.htm, .html)
• RESX (.resx)
• XML (.xml)
• XLIFF (.xliff)
And many more!
Please contact us today to learn more about how Dynamic Language can be the solution to your language needs!